Saliva production is greatly reduced while we sleep causing our mouths to dry out. When your mouth is dry, odour producing bacteria multiply rapidly in numbers. This is why breath can be quite nasty in the morning. Snoring and mouth breathing will dry your mouth out even further. The number of bacteria in your mouth before you go to bed will be influenced by how well you cleaned your teeth. Smoking and certain foods and beverages such as garlic, onions and coffee will make your breath even worse when combined with a dry mouth.
The following medical conditions can cause bad breath:
- Dry mouth
- Sinus infections
- Acid reflux
- Liver, Kidney or Lung problems
- Gum disease
Tips to improve bad breath:
- Brush your teeth and tongue well twice a day and floss once a day (for brushing and flossing instructions click here)
- Drink enough water throughout the day to stay well hydrated
- Avoid smoking, odorous foods or beverages that are linked to bad breath
- Keep dentures and other oral appliances clean
- Visits your dentist for regular examinations and a professional clean if its required
Thank you for reading our blog. If you have had a positive experience at our practice and would like to tell us and others about it, you can click here to review us on Google or Facebook. You can also choose to send us an email with your feedback. Your positive reviews contribute greatly to a small business like ours.